Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls


I've tried my fair share of cinnamon rolls over the years, and while most have been pretty good, they were time consuming or make like 80 cinnamon rolls (like I really need that many). This recipe claims to taste like Cinnabon cinnamon rolls, and while they were tasty and my favorite so far, there is something about someone else making your cinnamon rolls that makes them just that much tastier :) If you find that these are just too yummy to eat just one (and therefore add to your waistline) blame Destiny - I got this off her Facebook page!

Ingredients for rolls:

1 CUP WARM MILK (make sure it's warm - if it's too hot it will kill your yeast)

2 EGGS
1/3 CUP BUTTER
4 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
2/3 CUPS OF SUGAR
2 1/2 TEASPOONS QUICK RISING YEAST (I just used the yeast I got from Costco - and I don't know if it's quick rising but it worked for me)

For the filling:

1 CUP BROWN SUGAR

2 1/2 TABLESPOONS OF FRESH GRATED CINNAMON (um, I just used regular old cinnamon)
1/4 CUP OF BUTTER

For the frosting (I didn't think it made enough at first, but it ended up being perfect):

3 OUNCES CREAM CHEESE

1 1/2 CUPS OF CONFECTIONER SUGAR
1/4 CUP BUTTER
1/2 TEASPOON OF VANILLA
1/8 TEASPOON OF SALT


MIXING:


PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREE'S

Take your 1 cup of milk warmed to about 100 degrees and disolve the packet of yeast, mix well into the milk making sure there are no clumps in the bottom of the bowl or on the spoon. (Mine still had clumps even though I stirred forever)

In a large bowl mix together the flour,sugar,salt, butter and eggs. Add yeast mixture. Mix well and then knead the dough until well mixed and doesnt stick to your hands. Knead this into a large ball, Using your hands lightly dusted with flour place into a bowl with a drop of oil in the bottom of the bowl and cover in a warm location to allow to double in size. Once the dough has risen for about an hour you will remove it from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface to roll out. Take your rolling pin and roll the dough out in the shape of a rectangle. Let this rest for approx. 10 minutes. While this is resting take the cinnamon that you have grated and combine in a bowl with the brownsugar and mix in well. Once you have done this, And your dough has rested take some butter and coat the dough with enough butter to make it even and slowly sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mix all over the dough. Once you have done this you will want to roll the dough up and seal it with a little bit of water on a paint brush to allow the seam to stick during the baking process. After you have done this cut the roll into 1/2 inch sections and place on a baking sheet and allow to rise again until doubled again in size. About another 30 minutes should be enough time.

BAKING:


Finally the last step in this recipe is the baking and the frosting of the cinnamon buns. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

Bake the rolls in a preheated oven until golden brown about 15 minutes, While rolls are baking, Beat together the cream cheese and butter with the confectioner sugar and vanilla and salt. You will want to spread the frosting on the cinnamon buns as soon as they have cooled but just for a few minutes as the best time to add the frosting is while they are still warm and will disolve the frosting allowing it to soak into the cinnamon bun

Mine made about 24, and they all fit on a jelly roll pan. Happy eating. Oh, and did I mention these are completely healthy?? :)

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I was just thinking I wanted to make some more cinnamon rolls. I'll have to try these. We are Cinnabon junkies over here. How long from start to finish did these take?

Celeste Pearson said...

Not too long, like making bread. I made the rolls and rolled them up on the pan, and put them in fridge until after church and then I got them out until they rised (rose?) enough to bake them. It wasn't like super time consuming or anything like that.

Denise said...

YUM! You are killing me...I am on a diet. Die with a T at the end explains it all :) Maybe in a few months I will give this a try!

Stina said...

These look heavenly.

Kristi Adams said...

Made these the other day and they were amazing! The dough is really sweet and when they are warm right out of the oven with frosting dripping down the sides and brown sugar and cinnamon oozing out all over..... I had to share so I didn't eat the whole pan! i couldn't even eat dinner that night because I had eaten too many of these! I love cinnamon rolls!