Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

I was craving comfort food this past week. Not because I'm pregnant (because I'm not!) but because I was cold and sick and didn't really want to make chicken soup... again. So this time I looked up chicken and dumpings on some websites and decided on Sisters Cafe. Celeste jokes that I'm their biggest fan, but I think their recipes are super easy and usually pretty tasty. This recipe is really easy, uses things you would usually have on hand, and was really yummy. I threw it together in no time and my family really liked it. I would have liked to see some veggies in the actual dish, so next time I might add some frozen peas and carrots to it.

Chicken and Dumplings

3 c. cooked chicken, cut into large pieces (I cooked mine with salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
½ c. unsalted butter
1/3 c. flour
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 c. chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free variety works great)

Dumplings:
2 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp celery seed
¼ c. oil
1 c. milk

Blend butter, flour, salt and pepper in saucepan (I used the same pan as I cooked the chicken in for more flavor). Add chicken broth and cook until thick. Stir in cream of chicken soup and add cooked chicken. Put in a 9x13 pan. To prepare dumplings, mix all ingredients together and stir until moistened. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto chicken and gravy. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes.



5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

So I think these look yummy! I would totally add veggies to mine, although it would just cause drama in my kids (they don't love cooked veggies). And I don't have poultry seasoning. What could I use to substitute?

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm not sure, I always have McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Chicken on hand because it's super yummy on grilled veggies. You could always borrow mine though! I wouldn't know what to substitute for it.

Stina said...

I have never made chicken and dumplings. I'm excited to try it! And I never thought to use Grill Mates instead of poultry seasoning. Yum!

Kristi Adams said...

I love chicken and dumplings so much! The ULTIMATE comfort food!

Kelli said...

I made this tonight - please don't confuse celery salt and celery seed :) Also, I added frozen corn and frozen peas to mine, made it more of a chicken pot pie but with biscuits instead of pie crust. I loved it. I love comfort food. Jeremiah, though, isn't a comfort food fan (serously, who did I marry?) and only ate the chicken, but the kids gobbled it up!

I didn't have poultry seasoning, I just used celery salt (however, next will use celery seed!), onion powder (about 1/4 t) and 1 tsp Italian seasoning.