Monday, December 6, 2010

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

What? We have a recipe blog??



Silly me, I almost forgot! It's been that long!



However, I made this soup, which I got from the Sister's Cafe website, and after tasting just one tiny little bite, I knew I'd be posting this. It's just that good. And easy. And good.



Tomato, Basil, and Parmesan Soup

2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice

1 cup finely diced celery

1 cup finely diced carrots

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup finely diced onions

1 bay leaf

1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp fresh oregano

1 Tbsp dried or 1/4 cup fresh basil

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1 cup Parmesan cheese (like the Kraft stuff)

2 cups half and half, warmed

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

In a large slow cooker, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil (if using fresh oregano and basil; if using dried oregano and basil, add those two ingredients in the last hour of cooking - I used fresh basil and dried oregano). Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, until the flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

**Sister's Cafe website suggests using a food processor to finely dice all the vegetables. After dicing them by hand, I'd have to suggest the food processor too. Mine just weren't small enough!

About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour; stir constantly with a whisk for 5 to 7 minutes. Slowly stir in one cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups of soup and stir until smooth.

Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt, and pepper (and dried basil and/or oregano, if not using fresh). Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

3 comments:

Stina said...

Yeah! A recipe! I'm so so excited! This sounds great. I know for sure I'll be making it. It's soup weather!

Carissa Poyfair said...

It was really yummy but I agree it needed to be pureed a little more, maybe with an immersion blender. It was really tasty though!

Celeste Pearson said...

My family doesn't eat soup (I'm crying inside) so next time you make this let me try it! I'll see if Bryan likes it and then I'll know if I can make it. It sounds awesome with grilled cheese. Okay, I'm hungry now.