Tuesday, December 14, 2010

IHOP French Toast and Coconut Syrup

I found this gem on the Sisters Cafe site and had to try it. I bought a loaf of French bread at the store and happened to have everything else on hand. It was super yummy! My family ate it up and the syrup is oddly addicting and seriously delicious. It's a really light coconut flavor too. The website mentioned that if you don't like coconut, you can substitute vanilla extract instead. Oh, and I doubled the recipe and it was a perfect amount for a whole French bread loaf, cut thick (about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch is what I did).

(Photo courtesy The Sisters Cafe)

IHOP French Toast

2 eggs

½ c. milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp. flour
6 slices of thick sliced French bread

First beat eggs, then add remaining ingredients with electric mixer. Dip both sides of bread and place in hot buttered pan. Flip over when browned. Serve with Coconut Syrup.

Coconut Syrup

7-8 T. butter
¾ c. buttermilk
1 c. sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract (or you can substitute vanilla, but I love the coconut!)

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot. Then turn stove on medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add soda and flavoring. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the 'fizz' to reduce before serving.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

So when I make this (because I am going to) can I borrow your coconut extract? Do you think Bryan would be able to taste it?

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah, I'm sure he'd taste it. If you want, you can make it for you and just give him maple? Or make two batches and make one vanilla. But you are more the welcome to my coconut extract!

Stina said...

Is it weird that I never had french toast growing up and have never made it for my kids? I love the idea of coconut in this one. I'm with Celeste--can Brent taste it? And, even my non-picky daughter doesn't like coconut. It's so unfair. Maybe I'll do the half and half like Carissa suggested. Everyone will win!

Denise said...

Yum, I love sister’s cafe! I will have to try this one, sorry to say my whole family loves coconut :p It still sounds great with vanilla though!

Kristi Adams said...

I made this when my parents were here for Christmas and it was a HUGE hit! I had the crustiest loaf of french bread that someone gave me and we never ate. I almost threw it away when I saw this recipe! I had my doubts because that loaf of bread was seriously hard a a rock. I had to use my husband's power saw to cut through it(not really) but it softened right up and was DELISH! And I guess my family is crazy because we LOVE anything coconut.