Thursday, February 11, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes


Just in time for Valentine's Day, here is a yummy and special treat you can make for your family and friends! Red Velvet Cupcakes! It took me a while to like the taste of red velvet, but this recipe is awesome! Red velvet isn't meant to be a chocolate cake in the color of red, it's more of a mix between chocolate and vanilla cake, with a denser texture. It is really moist, and looks amazing (hello! It's ruby red in color!). But enough typing, more eating.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
3 T red food coloring
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake papers. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. (Sifting is important here because it helps the texture to be more fluffy). In a large bowl gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the went and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about 2/3 full. (I find it really easy and lots cleaner to pour the batter in a gallon-size baggie and snip of a corner. Then I can just squeeze the amount of batter in the cupcake liner without dripping all over the pan like I do when I fill with a spoon.) Bake in oven 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once halfway through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.

Modified from Paula Deen

Cream Cheese Frosting (the best part!)

1 cube butter, softened
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar a cup at a time and vanilla.
Isn't the color beautiful?? It just screams VALENTINE'S DAY!!
I frosted mine with a large star tip, and topped it with sliced almonds I chopped up a bit. You can use chopped pecans, shredded coconut, or nothing!

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I just ate one and it was SO YUMMY! Thanks!

Stina said...

So, I've never been a red velvet cake fan. The only kind I've ever had is in Heber, and I think it's bitter. But, this one sounds really good. I'm definitely going to try it! Thanks!

Celeste Pearson said...

You should! These red velvets cupcakes aren't bitter at all. I don't always love red velvet, but these are awesome :) Let me know what you think Stina!

Stina said...

By the way, these are beautiful! Way to go, Martha!

Kristi Adams said...

I made these for a Valentines Day treat and I am hooked! They were so easy to make and came out perfectly and they are so beautiful and gourmet! I think I am going to make them for our Relief Society Birthday party.

Stina said...

Kristi gave me two of these and I inhaled them both. I'm so glad she made them for me! They are sweet and moist! The ones I had in Heber didn't do justice for red velvet and I'm glad to have a change of heart.

And Kristi, these will be super fun for the birthday party!