Saturday, May 5, 2012

(Un) Fried Spaghetti

I know that this recipes sounds a little weird, but it is a family favorite of some friends of ours. I have to admit that I was reluctant at first, but once you try this recipe it will forever be your new favorite. It is also a great way to get rid of leftovers without having to eat the same exact meal twice in a row! This recipe is is good that Ethan and I can hardly wait through spaghetti night for Fired Spaghetti Night!! Finally, don't be scared off by the title. We call it (un) fried because it is really sauteed to perfection. We hope that you guys grow to love this recipe/ technique as much as we do!


These measurements are approximate because it is a leftover recipe. Feel free to throw everything you have in.

about 1lb. cooked spaghetti, chilled overnight (**this step is really important, if the noodles aren't cooled overnight, they are too wet and it just doesn't work)

about 2 cups spaghetti sauce (use either a new can or leftover)

about 3 Tbsp (not too much or it really would be fried)


Heat about 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, place the leftover spaghetti on top and then layer the sauce on top of that. Press everything down with the back of your spatula. Now be patient. I mean it! Give the noodles 3-4 minutes before stirring everything up and then be patient again. When you're patient the sauce and noodles basically caramelize and you get this really great flavor and crunchy little bits. Stir and repeat a couple times, until heated through and until you have as much caramelization as you want. Ethan and I like it really caramelized.

2 comments:

Stina said...

Since I know Tia and your amazing cooking skills--I am going to try this. It does make me hesitant, but I know Tia so I will do it!

Kristi Adams said...

Caramelizing Spaghetti? That never occured to me but it sounds fantastic! We arent big into spaghetti but now I want to make it just for the leftovers!