Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Egg Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce

I have never made this recipe, but someone made it for me. At my ward's annual Service Auction a friend of mine auctioned off an eggroll dinner and being pregnant and craving anything deep fried, I went for it and won it. We went to her house a few weeks ago and she made these egg rolls and sauce as well as some fried rice and I was in heaven. I think I ate like a dozen! My friend said they are a little time consuming with all the wrapping, but I'm sure husbands can help out :) I think they are totally worth the effort and my own husband raves about the sweet and sour sauce. I'm making them this weekend as well as for Christmas Eve to start a new tradition maybe? We'll see! Enjoy!

Egg Rolls

2 C. cooked chicken breasts, chopped well
2 C. cabbage chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 T. chopped green onion
1 T. cooking oil
2 C. bean sprouts
1 T. soy sauce
½ tsp. fresh ginger minced or grated (optional)
Egg roll wrappers (usually found in the produce or organic section)

Stir fry everything, except the chicken, together until tender. Add chicken.
Wrap in egg roll wrappers according to instructions on the package. Fry until golden brown on each side (the oil should be around 350 degrees- any hotter and they will get too "golden").

Sweet and Sour Sauce

½ C. brown sugar
1 T. corn starch
1 T. soy sauce
1/3 C. chicken broth
½ tsp. minced fresh ginger root
1/3 C vinegar (you can use either red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
1 clove garlic minced

Cook on medium high heat until it bubbles and then 2 more minutes (you should definitely double this as it barely was enough for our egg rolls when Kelli and I made them and it is really good!).

11 comments:

Denise said...

This sounds so good and not to hard. I always thought egg rolls were more complicated. I can not wait to pair this with Celeste's fried rice and Costco's orange chicken!

Kelli said...

I surprisingly have almost everything for this dish, including the ginger. Maybe this will be a meal soon, especially with your rave reviews. When you say "fry the eggrolls" do you just mean in a little oil in a pan over high heat or what?

Carissa Poyfair said...

I would say to use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, like maybe 1/2 inch to an inch maybe? You want every part of the eggroll to touch the oil so it gets crispy so just look at how big your eggrolls are before they are cooked and play it by ear.

Kristi Adams said...

These sound really yummy and don't look hard at all! Next time I go to the store I'm buying won ton wrappers and bean sprouts so I can make these!

Stina said...

I thought I already commented on this recipe!!! I love love egg rolls. I've never used won tons before. This could be an adventure!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Kelli and I made these tonight at her house and they weren't hard at all. You can buy actual egg roll wrappers in the produce section or organic section of your store so they are big, not small like you'll get with won ton wrappers. Mini egg rolls sound good though too! Your oil needs to be around 350 degrees, and I would double the sauce recipe since it barely lasted with what we had. They were so yummy and didn't take too long to make. I think we also added about an inch of oil.

Anyway, just letting you all know we actually made these tonight and they were so good that we will never go back to store bought egg rolls again! (Unless we are feeling lazy)

Kristi Adams said...

I made these the other day and they were fantastic! So easy, too! I also made the fried rice recipe to go with it and it all turned out so good. I will definitley make these when my family comes for Christmas!

Kristi Adams said...

btw, I didn't know there was a difference between won ton wrappers and egg roll wrappers. I've always called the big ones won ton wrappers but they're not!

Kelli said...

Just as a suggestion, I made these tonight again and I added shredded carrots to the mixture, about one cup, and I omitted the ginger from the mixture. The missionaries LOVED them. They are so good! The sauce is so worth making, it is really easy to make and, although I'm not a ginger fan, it makes the sauce fantastic!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I made them again on Thursday night and gave some to my neighbor and she said the same thing about carrots. Maybe just add some cole slaw mix since really all it has in it is shredded cabbage and carrots... I'm glad every one liked them that has tried them so far!

Celeste Pearson said...

Holy crap! It seems that everyone else has commented on this except me (and Destiny - come on you slacker). I have not tried these, although I will. I just wanted to be like everyone else :) Here is comment 11!