Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ms. Amidey's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

First of all... Christina... look how obedient I am!!  We just got out of church 40 minutes ago!!

I got this recipe from my daughters dance teacher Ms. Amidey.  It's moist and delicious, decadent and naughty... I promise this frosting will make you say bad words.

The Cake
Beat together:
1 cup softened butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar

Then add:
1 1/3 cups HOT water from the tap
Beat some more...
Add:
4 eggs
1 TB vanilla
1 1/3 cups sour cream
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt and
1 cup cocoa.

Pour into a large Pam sprayed sheet cake pan.
Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.

The Frosting
Melt:
1/2 cup butter
Beat in:
12 TB cocoa
Add:
4 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup sour cream and
1 tsp vanilla.

(Amidey said you can half this recipe for a 9 by 13 or 2 round cake pans - I think she said the cooking time is 15 to 20 minutes.)

Please make this cake... you will feel happy and proud... and a little bit naughty - Just in time for Valentines Day!!!

6 comments:

Stina said...

Sheral!!! You are so obedient! I am so proud of you and also extremely grateful. :) Brent's birthday is ON Valentine's Day and I was just thinking what kind of cake to bake him. Can I tell you how many cakes I have baked recently because of all our Winter birthdays? Insanity! So, thanks for this one. I will definitely be making it this week!!! XOXO

MeganRuth said...

Yum! I've been wanting a new chocolate cake recipe. So excited!

Denise said...

YUM!!! This screams to me, so I guess I HAVE to make it. ;) My family thanks you.

Stina said...

So--I made this yesterday. Can I tell you how productive I was yesterday? That comes after having a really REALLY lazy Monday and Tuesday. I had leftover sour cream from a baptism and thought what better way to use it up? I'm so glad I did. I will definitely be making this again. I couldn't stop eating it--so I had to give a lot away.

BTW--I would use a little less than all the batter. My sheet cake pan overflowed a bit. Not too horrible, but enough to make me nervous. I also had to bake it 10 minutes longer because the middle wasn't quite done yet. But, then my stove is a sad little thing.

Sheral Wilson said...

I baked some yesterday and split the batter in half... it took WAY longer than I thought it would. Maybe because it was in aluminum foil pans?? But you're right about the little too much batter... mine dribbled a little too. And it was delicious!!! I'm glad you liked it!!!

Lauren said...

My grandmother made this cake back in the day. Yummy. Going to give this a whirl.