Monday, November 7, 2011

4-layer Pumpkin Cream Cake


This cake is to DIE for and really not as hard as it looks...really. This is the second year in a row I have made it for my Grandmas annual Halloween dinner and it always gets rave reviews. I love it because it's not too sweet and the pumpkin flavor isn't to overwhelming but it just melts in your mouth! It is sure to impress whoever you are making it for!
hint: It tastes best cold.



1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans

make it


HEAT oven to 350°F.
BEAT cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. spice in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans.
BAKE 28 to 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
BEAT cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and spice; mix well. Gently stir in COOL WHIP. Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers. (Do not frost top layer.) Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts. Refrigerate leftovers.

7 comments:

Stina said...

The picture talked me into it. Even though my cakes turn out lopsided every time I try....I'll give it another go just to make this yummy and beautiful cake.

Sheral Wilson said...

The picture really is beautiful... And I think I could make this sometime this week! I don't really think we need an excuse to make/eat cake.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I saw this on the Philadephia website (or was it Kraft?) a while ago and loved it! It's the same picture from the website too, since my drooling is about the same :) I looooove me some pumpkin desserts!

Kristi Adams said...

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to add that this recipe and picture is from the Kraft website. I shouldn't try to take credit for beautiful pictures of food because my food pictures NEVER turn out! This recipe is on several other websites as well, probably Philadelphia too!

Denise said...

This looks so good! I will have to make this for Thanksgiving. Do I dare tell you all that I hate pumpkin pie?! I think it is the texture. Hope my cake turns out "normal" looking!

Celeste Pearson said...

I'm making this for Thanksgiving! Sooo excited to have this instead of pumpkin pie!

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit! It was so good and so easy to assemble!

And really, I could eat the cool whip/pumpkin filling till I die!